Support through Ownership to Improve Effectiveness (Part 2)

A brief follow-up to the last post. Once we have ownership established, meaning the ones who have the greatest investment in results of the activity are activily involved in the entire planning process, then you move from an object or a resource and into a partnership role.  This is most commonly seen in youth development models of youth participation in programing. The result is a program that lasts because the participants are also partners in the process. They are integral in planning, designing, implementing, and evaluating a program or ministry.

Do you go with what is often comfortable which often isn't as effective? Do you take the time to find the key stakeholders and develop a much more effective product? 

I have always heard that in community building you have to go slow to go fast and far. This reminds us that often the process can be taxing and time consuming in the front but the results will be a much more efficient and effective product for the community that you serve. If I only include those in my own circle of influence then the circle of my ministry or work will never grow. 

I must use the social capital with the circles I am connected so that they can expand my influence to their own unique circles. But if I wait to include them at the end just to tell them what to do or where to be when, then I will inevitablly only recieve mediocre fruit for the my work. Thus, ownership of the process, the implementation, evaluation and celebration will result in a much more effective product. I must be reminded that I don't work for my boss or my paycheck but I work for the citizens, the youth, my neighbors, my friends, my family. If I don't do my job well, then they are the ones who will suffer for my bad decisions. I must take ownership of as well as offer it. Ownership builds responsibility, creates effectiveness, enhances our work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing you're thoughts!